New York State Monument Builders Association
The New York State Monument Builders Association (NYSMBA) is an association of Professional retail memorialists throughout New York State. Designing, manufacturing, installing and maintaining personalized memorials using the latest technologies, while still adhering to the time-tested stone cutting methods of old is the challenge met by our members.
Founded in 1941, the NYSMBA has been a leading advocate for consumer protection. The independent business owners of the NYSMBA have agreed to operate their businesses in conformance with our Code of Ethics designed to offer the consumer a caring approach to the purchase of a memorial to departed loved ones.
Your choice of a NYSMBA member firm is the first step in the permanent memorialization of those you love. Our members are trained to offer guidance and consulting in all the details of memorialization. The association provides seminars and convention programs annually to allow its members to improve their ability to serve the public in this most respected and only visible area of the death-care industry. An informed and professional retailer is your best ally in the search for the perfect memorial.
To define and promote memorialization in a viable and innovative way by informing, instructing, and educating its membership, and to enhance the awareness of memorialization by the general public and the Death-Care industry.
* To assist members to strengthen and expand their market share.
* To serve the educational needs of the members.
* To inform the public as to the importance of memorialization.
* To promote the highest professional standards for the monument industry.
* To achieve understanding and cooperation with other segments of the death-care industry.
* To positively influence legislation and regulation affecting the monument industry.
* To serve as a forum for the exchange of information in the monument industry.
* To promote cooperation between all segments of the NYSMBA membership.
Code of Ethics:
* The process of selling shall be low key, with minimum pressure and maximum consideration for the feelings of the prospect purchaser.
* The family shall be permitted a reasonable period of mourning undisturbed by commercial intrusions.
* Members shall conduct business fairly and ethically, refraining from destructive criticism of a competitor.
* Members shall not attempt to secure a contract from a prospective client who obviously has made a prior commitment.
* Members shall advertise in good taste, refraining from exaggeration or misrepresentation.
* Members shall establish a fair scheduling of prices, neither taking advantage of a client, nor making a practice of abnormal price reduction.
* Members shall maintain superior standards of materials and craftsmanship, and bear in mind the importance of counseling the client in the advantages of individuality and personalization of design.